23 September 2015

HB 297 - Punishing Women and FRACKING EVERYONE


[Disturbing News from the NCGA]

"[Chad] Barefoot (R-Wake, sponsor of #HB297) said he believes that his bill would stop entirely the donation of fetal tissue from abortions, even if it was given for free."
THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SPONSORS RESEARCH DONE ON FETAL TISSUE. BEN CARSON'S RESEARCH RELIED ON FETAL TISSUE DONATIONS.

And this:
"A separate section of the bill codifies a provision of the recently passed state budget that prohibits the Department of Health and Human Services from contracting with any health care provider for family planning or other services if that provider performs abortion."
If you support these measures, you are reducing the care available for women, men, AND nb who need cancer screenings, STD testing, birth control, hormone therapy, prenantal care(!), and so much more.

This is a public health issue and a human rights issue. People seek abortions for a number of reasons, and not a single one is my business.

If I had become pregnant even as recently as a few years ago, I would have absolutely sought an abortion. I wanted to wait to have children when I could provide an even somewhat stable home; there's never a "good" time to have kids, but some times are better than others.

I know women who kept their unplanned--but not unwanted--pregnancies and love their child(ren!). I know women who miscarried wanted pregnancies. I know women who aborted wanted pregnancies due to fatal fetal abnormalities. I know women who aren't sure what they'd do.

Would I want to force a 14-year-old girl to carry a baby to term against her will? Never. Would I want to force a 33-year-old mother of two? Never.

Would I support you in your decision to keep a baby or terminate the pregnancy even if you've yelled anti-choice obscenities at me in front of a clinic. Always.

No comments: